DATA PROTECTION OFFICE
Phone : (032) 255-2434 / (032) 416-8226
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail : Data Protection Office, 2nd Floor Inday Pining Building, University of the Visayas, Colon Street, Cebu City
If you have concerns, inquiries, complaints, or would like to report a security incident to us, you may download our Contact Form and email us. Or you may use our Data Privacy Contact Form via Google Forms.
The University of the Visayas (UV) is firmly committed to the responsible use of the personal information, sensitive personal information and/or privileged information (hereinafter collectively referred to as “personal data”) you entrust with us.
This privacy notice serves to inform you of the data collection, sharing, confidentiality, and data security, retention and disposal policies the University has in place to protect your personal data in compliance with Republic Act No. 10173, otherwise known as the Data Privacy Act of 2012, and the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the National Privacy Commission.
What information do we collect?
We acquire, collect and generate your personal data through our data-gathering forms and in other various forms such as written records, photographic and video images, and/or digital material. These information may include:
- Personal data you provide us during your application for admission such as:
- name, email address, city and provincial address, telephone number and other contact details;
- family background, history, previous schools attended, academic performance, and disciplinary record; and
- information obtained through interviews and/or during entrance tests or admission examinations.
- Personal data we collect or generate upon enrolment and during the course of your stay with us such as:
- academic or curricular undertakings, classes you enroll in, scholastic performance, attendance record, etc.;
- co-curricular matters such as outreach activities, internship or apprenticeship compliance;
- extra-curricular activities, such as membership in student organizations, leadership positions and participation and attendance in seminars, competitions and programs;
- any disciplinary incident, including accompanying sanctions that you may be involved in;
- other forms of data like pictures or videos of activities you participate in, via official documentation of such activities, or through recordings from closed-circuit security television cameras installed within school premises.
In case of any unsolicited information sent or received by us without our prior request, we will apply measures to determine if we can legitimately keep such information. If not, we will immediately dispose of said information in a secure manner. Otherwise, we will treat it in the same manner as the other information you provided us.
Furthermore, we may request you to certify that you have acquired the consent of other individuals (e.g., person to contact in the event of an emergency) whose personal information you provide to us.
Why do we collect them?
We collect and use your personal data only as necessary for the purposes which it was obtained, to pursue our legitimate interests as an educational institution to the extent permitted or required by law. We may use the personal information you provided in our data-gathering forms for the following purposes:
- Evaluate your applications for admission to UV. If you are an incoming, transferring, cross-registering, or non-degree student, process confirmation in preparation for enrollment.
- Record, generate and maintain records of your academic, co-curricular and extra- curricular progress. We may also record, store, and evaluate your work (e.g., homework, seatwork, quizzes, long tests, exams, term papers, theses, dissertations, culminating or integrating projects, research papers, reflection papers, essays and presentations) and record, generate, and maintain records – manually, electronically, or by other means – of your grades, academic history, class schedules and class attendance;
- Establish and maintain student information systems;
- Share your grades between and among faculty members, and others with legitimate purpose such as for academic deliberations and evaluation of your performance;
- Process your scholarship applications, grants, allowances, reports to benefactors, and other forms of financial assistance;
- Investigate incidents that relate to student behavior and implement disciplinary measures;
- Maintain directories and alumni records;
- Compile and generate reports for statistical and research purposes;
- Provide you services such as health, insurance, counseling, information technology, library, sports/recreation, transportation, parking, campus mobility, safety and security;
- Manage and control your access to campus facilities and equipment;
- Communicate official school announcements;
- Share marketing and promotional materials regarding school-related functions, events, projects and activities;
- Solicit your participation in research and non-commercial surveys approved by the University;
- Share your information with persons or institutions as provided below.
The processing of your personal data under the following purposes mentioned above are considered necessary for us to fulfill our contractual obligations to you, comply with legal obligations, protect your vitally important interests, including your life and health, comply with requirements of public order and public safety, or pursue the legitimate interests of the University or a third party. We also understand the strict limitations to the processing of your sensitive personal information, and we commit to abide by the rules provided for in the Act.
How do we share or transfer them?
The personal data we collect are shared internally for Official Business Purposes only. We will not share your personal data with any third party that intends to use it for commercial purposes, unless you have freely given a specific and informed consent. However, we may share, disclose or transfer your personal data with third parties under the following circumstances:
- posting of class lists and class schedules in school bulletin boards or other places within the campus;
- sharing of your personal data with your parents or guardians authorized by you in the Privacy Notice or as required by law;
- reporting and/or disclosure of information to the NPC and other government bodies or agencies (e.g., Commission on Higher Education, Department of Education, etc.), when required or allowed by law;
- sharing of information with entities or organizations (e.g., Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation, Inc. and other sports bodies) for determining eligibility in sports or academic competitions, as well as other similar events.;
- complying with court orders, subpoenas and/or other legal obligations;
- conducting internal research or surveys for purposes of institutional development;
- publishing academic, co-curricular, and extra-curricular achievements and success, including honors lists and names of awardees in school bulletin boards, website, social media sites, and publications;
- sharing your academic accomplishments or honors and co-curricular or extra-curricular achievements with schools you graduated from or were previously enrolled in, upon their request;
- use of photos, videos, and other information in order to promote the school, including its activities and events, through marketing or advertising materials, such as brochures, website posts, newspaper advertisements, physical and electronic bulletin boards, and other media;
- publication of communications with journalistic content, such as news information in The Visayanian publications, and social media sites.
UV shall ensure that all employees and such third parties, who use data processing facilities or handle personal data, must sign a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement before the work starts or prior to being given access to personal data. Only authorized UV employees having the legitimate purpose of carrying out their contractual duties will be able to access your personal data.
How do we store and protect them?
Your personal data in our custody are stored and transmitted securely in a variety of paper and electronic formats, including databases that are shared between UV’s different units or offices. We strive to ensure that your personal data are protected against any accidental or unlawful destruction, alteration and disclosure as well as against any other unlawful processing.
In order to keep your personal information secure, reasonable and appropriate organizational, physical, and technical security measures are put in place to maintain the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of your personal data.
Use of your personal data will not be excessive. We will retain your personal information only for as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes which it was collected, taking into account the need to answer queries and comply with legal requirements under applicable laws. This means that we retain your personal period over the period specified by our Data Retention and Disposal Policies. When personal data collected are no longer required, they will be disposed of in a manner that would preserve its confidentiality and protect your privacy.
How can you exercise your rights?
UV recognizes that every one of our data subjects is afforded rights by the Act. These rights include:
- Right to be informed that his personal data will be or is being processed;
- Right to reasonable access to his or her personal data being processed by the personal data controller or personal data processor;
- Right to dispute the inaccuracy or error in the personal data;
- Right to request the suspension, withdrawal, blocking, removal or destruction of personal data; and
- Right to complain and be indemnified for any damages sustained due to inaccurate, incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained or unauthorized use of personal data.
Should you wish to exercise your rights, or if you have any questions on matters to privacy, you may contact our University’s Data Protection Officer through:
- Phone @ (032) 255-2434/(032) 416-8226
- Email at email@example.com
- Mail at Data Protection Office, 2nd Floor Inday Pining Building, University of the Visayas, Colon Street, Cebu City
You may also express your concerns through our Data Privacy Contact Form via Google Forms by visiting this link: https://bit.ly/2HBDcCK or use our downloadable Contact Form in the University website and email us.